In the end, Cyril Despres took only a day to shake off the dirt on the failure of the 8th stage. Won his third stage on the Dakar 2017, in front of the main rival Marc Coma and Frenchman Cyril Despres is back on top of the overall standings at the conclusion of a fantastic stage from Antofagasta to Iquique, and now it is an advantage over Mark 2'28 min.
Commented 9 stage Despres "After yesterday's failures I had to concentrate as much as possible to return to the path leading to victory. It was not easy and, above all psychologically, but overall I'm very pleased with the ninth stage. We are here ready to fight for minutes or even seconds, to be competitive, but as any top level sportsman, if you are not ready for a confrontation or squeezing the last forces of yourself, then you are not able to experience victory, but, as for me, I have to ready for it. "
The duel is far from over, last night both riders replace their engines and hence they are equal in strategic terms.
1. Cyril Despres (France, "KTM") – 5: 04.33
2. Marc Coma (Spain, "KTM") +03.54
3. Joan Barreda Bort (Spain, "Huksvarna") +08.28
4. Helder Rodrigues (Portugal, "Yamaha") +11.44
5. Paulo Goncalves (Portugal, "Huksvarna") +15.12
1. Cyril Despres (France, "KTM") – 4: 30.17
2. Marc Coma (Spain, "KTM") +2.28
3. Helder Rodrigues (Portugal, "Yamaha") +59.19
4. Paulo Gonçalves (Portugal, "Huksvarna") 1: 25.57
5. Jordi Viladoms (Spain, "KTM") 1: 28.43