Today's custom Harley represented by Buzz Kanter, who is editor in chief of American Iron Magazine US magazine. That's what speaks Buzz: "I bought the bike fully fit to ride through the streets, a few months before motocross« Motorcycle Cannonball », leaving parked it at his friends, I am totally focused on preparing his Harley to travel from one coast to another. I bought a motorcycle a person engaged in the sale of classic models who bought this bike about a decade earlier, he told entirely in native, although the latter was not true.
This model Harley-Davidson in 2017, pointed to the front brake sick later version ( Harley-Davidson did not install the front brake until 2017), the graphics on the tank can be attributed to the 2017's. Ignition was a self-made, with two coils hidden inside the battery housing and a pair of externally mounted capacitors (Harley used one coil and one capacitor for this bike). The changes were similar, but not exact.
Delivered the bike to Wheels Through Time, I started working on it with his friends Dale and Matt Volkslerami. After ten years of inactivity, in the hands of Dale, he came to life in less than half an hour. Old museum was once the battery is replaced. The carburetor has been moved and cleaned, worn parts have been replaced by time, as well as a spark plug, and then the motorcycle was taken to the street for the first test drive. Motorcycle surprisingly turned out to be high-spirited, but in the management behaved quite nervously, there was a suspicion that the frame was bent. In the studio, it was found that the bearings in the steering column were dry. Throwing off the fork, we cleaned up the remains of grease, which may have been since the 20s. Making sure that everything is in order, lubricate with fresh grease, installed everything in place. After these are not clever manipulation of the bike has become better controlled, and we managed to overclock it up to about 50 miles per hour.
Next to the front axle and bearings were replaced as soon as we had confidence in the reliability of the bike, we started to rework it. front fender were removed, the front headlight, tool box, trunk, part of the rear wing, tail light, etc.
All this, from the beginning to the end, took less than three days. Good to work with guys like Dale and Matt, who are very well aware of these motorcycles and who have spare parts if necessary.